Playdates with God: How Beauty Surprises

The morning is mist and I try to hold it but it slips through my fingers again. I am thinking about manna, about the Bread of Life, when I take to the sidewalk and run. I don’t think about the blue of the sky or the way the sun plays on water or the noise of traffic in my ears. My feet are pounding that rhythm that my body knows and I wait for the breath to even; I wait for the muscles to warm.  I am lost in my head—immune to that busy hum of life that breathes around me.

And suddenly there’s beauty.
Reams and reams of gold spun on frosted green and I am rich as I gather with my eyes. It’s right there, between two lots of the ordinary. Between houses and a trophy shop…behind a photographer’s studio.  If I look close enough, I can see there used to be something else there. A house?  A barn? Are these memories of the time when this land thrummed with the riches of farm and pasture? These remnants of decay—long-forgotten—blink at me now through a sun-soaked haze. I wonder what it was and how it must have filled this space.
And when did beauty fill the gap?
How long does it take for emptiness to fill? And how does beauty move in so silently, so quiet-like and with such grace? It’s the way the world turns—that slow spin from one season to the next. The whole earth a grace story.

Let your empty be filled today. Open your arms wide for grace. Let beauty enter in. The seeds are breaking open in the long sleep…waiting for light to grow.
How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Sylv_R says

Ah, awareness! My focus theme for the year! This post is beauty filling the Monday morning gap! It makes me smile… :)

2. bluecottonmemory says

Beautiful,Laura! I love how when we walk or run with Him, suddenly there are layers upon layers of things to see – all layered with messages from Him:) Good Morning:)

3. Diane|AnExtraordinaryDay.net says

Oh Laura…I do want my empty to be filled today.
    Thank you for this beautiful picture in words and pixels.

4. Mia says

Dear Laura
    What a breathtaking view! I firmly believe that God can only fill us with Himself to the extent that we are empty of ourselves. To me that is sort of carrying my cross daily to not allow myself to try to earn that which He only give us because of His grace!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

5. JosephPote says

Yes, beauty does, indeed surprise!
    I love how you expressed this. Just as beauty suprises by filling in the empty places, joy surprises by filling in the holes left by the brokenness of sorrow.
    Thanks for sharing!

6. lindalouise says

He fills with such extraordinary beauty. Laura, I always love to see things through your eyes. You sharpen my vision. Love to you dear one.

7. Jodi @ Curious Acorn says

I enjoyed this post, Laura, and I agree. Beauty can be found EVERYwhere. God is good and constantly gifting us.