Playdates with God: The Secret of Eternal Youth

We have been quiet together, God and I.
This morning the wind bends through the trees and temperatures steadily drop and snow sleeps on the sloping hills and I breathe in and out surrounded by all this white. I have been stretching time thin—so many demands, so many deadlines. It makes me feel old—this tireless pounding of life.
And so during our time together, I sink into the strength of his Divine embrace and become young again. I feel my pulse slow, my heart hum steady.  This is not something I do; it simply comes when we sit together. When I look out with the eyes of my heart and see him here beside me, inside of me, holding me—a part of my very being.
And though the weather keeps me inside and my body is still healing, I understand this thing that Paul says in 2 Corinthians 4:16:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Renewed day by day. This is what I’ve been feeling as I hunker down in the cold and snow with God as my glad companion. Renewed. The closer I draw to God the more I become myself—who I am meant to be. This is the secret of eternal youth—fix the eyes on the unseen.
And try to stay warm.

How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

The closer I draw to God the more I become myself—who I am meant to be. This is the secret of eternal youth—fix the eyes on the unseen. I love this…Amen..and let it be so. Hope your healing process goes well…blessings and grace~

2. Nancy Sturm says

Isn’t It amazing how God can slow us down so we can “Be still and know that I am God”? Enjoy your quiet time and heal quickly.

I like how you compare busyness with feeling old, and getting quiet with becoming young again. I’ll have to ponder on that because I think I may have too often considered it in reverse… Thanks, Laura, for always giving me things to mull over in my heart. I already am anxious about all that I have to do this week, and I don’t want to feel that way about it….

I pray you’re recuperating well from your surgery.

Your words here jumped right off the page and into my heart, Laura: “The closer I
    draw to God the more I become myself—who I am meant to be.” And in becoming our true selves our hearts heal, God is honored and others are blessed. Thanks for sharing another beautiful post and feel better soon. I saw on FB only 63 days till spring 🙂 xxoo

5. bluecottonmemory says

I love when we just sit together, God and I – or walk together – and it feels like our heads are bent together, talking, laughing and serious! I feel old when I’m doing things that aren’t in my heart’s desire area:)

Oh, I missed the post of your surgery! I’m so sorry you’ve had to sojourn in “the foreign land of pre-op and recovery.” My passport holds too many stamps from that place. May the Lord grant you a smooth and swift recovery, dear Laura.

That feeling, old and worn thin, is also too well-known to me. Praise God you are finding His renewal in it now. May that infusion of strength and heart continue more and more. Grace and peace to you in Christ Jesus.

7. soulstops says

Dear Laura,
    Sorry I forgot to comment on your surgery post earlier..praying you are recovering and staying warm…and yes, it is in His Presence, we become more ourselves…the beauty He sees in you..hugs to you 🙂

Laura, a few minutes ago I searched for the key word “renew” on Bible Gateway, and now I am here finally reading this post. Oh my! I love it when God does that. 🙂

9. JViola79 says

“The closer I draw to God the more I become myself – who I am meant to be.” These are beautiful words to me this afternoon. Thank you for sharing your words with us all. Praying that you are mending well. Blessings!

Laura~I loved your just being in HIs presence. Breathing in His Life. And being renewed day by day. It calls me to the quiet. “The closer I draw to God the more I become myself.” Great!
    Blessings,
    Janis
    P.S. Hope to see you at my new place. And I will be sending you the information you requested.

11. pastordt says

You don’t know this, but this post ties directly to this week’s Q & A – especially this line: Renewed. The closer I draw to God the more I become myself—who I am meant to be. This is the secret of eternal youth—fix the eyes on the unseen. Thank you for it.

12. smoothstones says

You were really on my heart, today, Laura. I left fb so couldn’t check on you, that way: guess it’ll be awkward for awhile. Glad to read this post.