Playdates with God: Jubilee

Friends, I’m still processing all that I experienced over the weekend at Jubilee. I wanted to give you a little taste, so here is a post I wrote last year after coming home. You might also enjoy meeting one of the scholars in attendance, an artist who graced us with his work, and a bookseller who is so much more than that. And, oh yes, the friend I visited with last year is still standing tall.

I left hungry.
I was up early to finish the book club article, but between checking out of the hotel and Lectio Divina…there wasn’t time for breakfast. In Marcus’ workshop, Nancy tried to give me a trail mix bar, but I was thinking about yogurt so I declined. But then there is morning worship and the last two speakers and time to say goodbye comes too soon. I drive out of Pittsburgh at 12:45 p.m. with a hunger that food will not fill.
It’s always this way after the mountain top, this I know, but at Jubilee I worship and learn with over 2000 college students and the energy along those corridors and in those rooms is a living thing. I am reminded what it is to be young and have your entire life before you. It doesn’t make me feel old—it makes me want to live deeper and when I feel a pang of regret—only once—I remember what my spiritual director said just last week about God’s timing always being perfect. After all, I have more life before me too.
So I drive down I-79 with this aching hunger keeping me company and my Lord and I—we feast. All of the little pieces of heaven that were sprinkled down over the weekend flood the space of my minivan and it’s not until four hours later when I pull in my driveway that I remember I am hungry.
And then the fullness of family grips me and wraps me in its warm embrace. And going away is all the sweeter for the coming home.
How this fills. How this fills…
How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Mia says

Dear Laura
    My greatest Jubilee happened this weekend when I realized that we were never created as a person who can function without a spirit deity. After the Fall we were all prisoners of the evil one doing his will. Even when we thought we were doing good things, it was still that enemy deceiving us. His greatest lie is that we can be independent selves! No, we cannot. We are the slaves of the deity which controls us; either our Lord Jesus of the father of all lies! Oh, this brought such freedom to my heart when I realized that it was a lie when I believed that I can improve myself by trying just a bit harder for there was never a “self” in the first place! Oh, this world is just so deceived.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

2. Nancy Sturm says

Ahh, those mountain top experiences, those “little pieces of heaven that were sprinkled down over the weekend,” are amazing aren’t they. I pray you won’t experience a let down after the mountain top, but will be rejuvenated to continue doing God’s work down in the valley.

3. DeanneMoore says

Oh, I bet that little pang was a gift you’ll unwrap in the days ahead. So excited for those who will take the baton behind us, run, run, run with the hope of Christ into the future awaiting them.

“It doesn’t make me feel old—it makes me want to live deeper and when I
    feel a pang of regret—only once—I remember what my spiritual director
    said just last week about God’s timing always being perfect. After all, I
    have more life before me too.”

This encourages me, Laura. We spent the weekend at Auburn University with my daughter, and I’m amazed at all the opportunities open to her and almost feel a pang of envy. So your words are just what I need to read. God’s timing is perfect for me; he still has plans for me too.

5. soulstops says

Laura,
    Can’t wait to hear what you learned and thanks for sharing again last year’s insights…always a blessing to be here 🙂

6. kingfisher says

What a lovely photo! And lovely thoughts.. Thinking of you today, Laura. Praying that his grace will fill you and satisfy your heart.

7. Sharon says

Embracing God-joy is sometimes an intentional choice. Earthly happiness is so fleeting that we can’t depend on it. It is then, in the midst of living, that we must focus our eyes on Jesus – the only One who brings lasting joy…

GOD BLESS!

I love those refreshing times when we lose ourselves to the company of others and presence of God. And then we are left alone to our thoughts and our routines. I miss the fellowship and the activity, but I embrace the discomfort of just me and God. “let’s do this”

If you are going for most excellent contents like myself, just pay a quick visit this
    site every day because it presents quality contents, thanks

Trackbacks