Playdates with God: In Like a Lion

The meadow behind our home is a wonderland of down-covered grasses, branches muted by sleeping silver. My boys still dream upstairs, the house is quiet. So I pull on the long boots and go out to stand in the stuff. There is a magic in March snow—the way it quiets a slow-stirring earth. Just yesterday I noticed that the tops of the Pussy Willow tree were beginning to bud and now that gentle awakening is stilled again.

The snow birds are back this morning–enjoying a frolic in that white stuff that fell over a layer of ice overnight. A trio of them perch in the naked forsythia bush; feathery baubles fluffed out against the cold.

I sit with my morning coffee and watch ornitho-antics. The still falling snow does not deter their play…they flit to and fro with sudden graceful movements as if dangled from invisible wire–an infant’s mobile orchestrated by invisible puppeteer.

I am that infant.

I watch, bedazzled as this scene plays out against winter-white.

I am thinking about seasons. This surprise-snow reminds me of my Father. How He likes to astonish, fill me with wonder. The seasons He orchestrates for me are not predictable. They do not come with a mark on the calendar. They are sprinkled down from heaven in the dark of night like this dusting before my eyes this morning.

The weather men spoke caution all day yesterday and we went to bed to the soft patter of an icy rain. When I opened my eyes to morning light I heard the snow in the silence. The world unspeaking, muted by an insulating mantle of purity. As we prepare our hearts to enter into Lent, it seems only fitting.

And so, I am quieted.

There is no shame in this silence, only a gentle hand cupping my face. I am still as the coverlet falls over me. There is only relief. No striving, no pushing, no struggle against injustice.

Just blessed peace.

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Kim Adams Morgan says

Oh my, March did come in like a Lion for you. We were blessed with Spring like weather here in Charlotte. It was almost 70 here this weekend; we were able to get out and walk on the Greenway. I’m grateful for His wonderful gift of sunshine as the rain and cool has now moved in. It will bring all the beautiful flowers with it.

Only you could capture the final days of winter with such grace and beauty, my friend. This, a powerfully gentle weaving today.
    I, on the other hand, said a final simple ‘good riddance’ to winter’s endless blast this morning, posting my last photo and saying ‘enough already.’
    I’m done. And ready for the glories of spring …
    ;-}

3. JosephPote says

Yes, March definitely came in like a lion this year…hear him roar!

I loved this: “This surprise-snow reminds me of my Father. How He likes to astonish, fill me with wonder.”
    I love the sense of His delight at our astonishment! 🙂

We too woke up to a great blanket of snow on Sunday morning. So beautiful and peaceful…and so enough. 😉 I am grateful to have read your words today. There is something profound about the insulation of the snow and the isolation that it brings along with peace in the air and in my soul.

5. bluecottonmemory says

We’ve hardly had any snowfall this season. It’s like Moses has been standing on our western borders and parting the snow clouds to the north and south. We got ice this morning – and I went out, too – in the quiet to take photos, to listen and hear. So worth it! Your photos are beautiful!

the snow has been absolutely drowning me. I needed to see some beauty in this suffocating powder before I, along with the rest of my area of the United States, go insane.

also, the title…makes me absolutely shiver with the holiness.

I feel like, not only are you a painter of words, Laura, but a musician that sings soft and gentle lullabies to our soul each week. In that, I am quieted too. Thanks so much for “singing” and hosting, my friend!

8. JosephPote says

Yes, I too was still thinking of my post as I read Laura’s. Certainly a similar theme of the wonder and delight of God’s inspiration!
    Thank you, my friend, for sharing that joy!

9. Jody Ohlsen Collins says

Oh, Laura, ‘ornitho-antics’ is the perfect word for our daily bird watching. My husband and I are easily enchanted that way. This was lovely.

Oh my heavens, Laura, you just might have accomplished the impossible. You’ve granted me new eyes to appreciate this horrid, lingering Wisconsin winter. Bless you.

11. Elizabeth Hernandez says

Oh how I lvoe coming here and just feeling Gods perfect peace fall. Your pictures and words so soothing. I so do need to just sit in the silence. Thank you Blessings

12. mamaabby says

Ah Laura…I loved this. And a word that resonates…I’ve been meditating on & memorizing Psalms 62:5-8, and I am staying right here in the beginning. “For God alone Oh my soul, wait in silence…” there is much to clear away and the searching seeking yearning surrender to purify and still.

13. Sharon says

What a beautiful post – it brought peace to my soul. I feel His hand cupping my face, too…

GOD BLESS!