Playdates with God: The Ides of March

We walked under that waxing gibbous moon and it almost felt like it used to—before the gray came and robbed away the joy, before the creeping spread of worry and fear made little room for tenderness. He didn’t touch my hand and I didn’t reach for his, but the snow hadn’t come yet and the air smelled like the earthiness of spring and the stars were bright above. The old hunter watched over us and the Big Dipper stood upright on the tip of its handle.

Sometimes love feels like an iron man contest; we push through one long grueling task to another, using all our strength, all our agility, all our skill just to finish.  And these are tiring seasons, but a walk together under the stars can bring back spring in the midst of winter. So on the ides of March we crossed the highway and stepped outside together, outside the usual routine—crossed over an invisible line and let our hearts join together again. And that word? “Ides”? It comes from the Latin word that means “to divide”.  But I was thinking of the way two hearts can find rest in each other, the way two hearts collide when all the things of life try to divide.
So I closed my eyes and imagined that tipping cup of the dipper was pouring out better days, pouring out stardust and light and all things of hope.
Then I reached out and took his hand in mine.
Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

You write so beautifully, Laura. Like a symphony of words. And I’m so grateful for your vulnerability and yet strong confidence in God and the seasons of love. You know the way back and walk that hard pathway, as we all must do from time to time. In fact, our pastor and his wife hit a “marriage wall” recently. He took a five month sabbatical and with intensive counseling, he is back, while she takes a bit more time. It is a testament to God’s redemption and our perseverance in Him. So we run the race, each one of us! Hugs to you!

2. Pamela says

Pouring out hope. Sometimes that pouring is the very thing that unites us, closing one season and opening another.

Oh, Laura. I’m sorry for all the worry and fear. You are exactly right that “sometimes love feels like an iron man contest; we push through one long grueling task to another, using all our strength, all our agility, all our skill just to finish.” Let’s keep putting one foot in front of another and running the race in the grace and strength of Christ. I do truly pray that our Lord would pour out better days and light and hope for you. He does restore our locust-eaten years. May He grant us both grace to trust Him.

4. Laurie Collett says

May we love one another as He loves us! Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting, & God bless!

Yes, that touch, those moments together, that love from God makes all the difference in the way we walk our path…together. Glad I stopped by.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

6. Sharon says

Laura, this was beautiful. It was beautiful because it was real, and it was hopeful. Yes, lately I’ve been so overwhelmed with my *inner storm* that I’ve neglected to reach out to my husband. Sometimes I need to touch his heart – and in so doing, I’m sure I will also find healing.

GOD BLESS!

I breathed a little spring with these words. Love you, friend.

8. JViola79 says

I love how you looked at the “ides”. “But I was thinking of the way two hearts can find rest in each other, the way two hearts collide when all the things of life try to divide.” It is so true that life can be so divisive. May my heart find its rest in Him alone today! For then it will be at rest with the hearts in my life 🙂 Blessings today!

9. Emily Grace says

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. My husband and I have been having days like this. And then the other day, we had a vulnerable moment, and I, too, imagined better things are being poured out.