Playdates with God: Art that Breathes

We made art.

But mostly we celebrated the art that God made when He created each one of us.

At the beginning of the retreat, Kris prayed for God to, “…break us where we need to be broken, heal us where we need to be healed, open our hands and walk us into your storehouses.” And Annie told us about the ancient Japanese art of Kintsugi—a way of repairing something broken. The Japanese artisan would mend the cracks of the object with fine gold.

“You wouldn’t repair something unless it was very valuable,” Annie said. “And the object increased in value because of the repair. Because it was broken.”

This image quickly became ours. Because, as Christine said, “The gift of creative language and metaphor may just very well be God’s love language.”

I arrived dry and brittle but returned home overflowing. I’m still sitting with the wonder of it all. The words are still churning, so I’ll share a few images. My heart is filled with gratitude for the storehouses of God.

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

Laura–I love this so much, and I am so deeply grateful God called you to Refine. His storehouse is amazing, and overflowing with abundance. Praying for you as you sift the thoughts and images from the weekend. I feel absolutely wealthy. Love you.

2. Healed By His Wounds says

“But mostly we celebrated the art that God made when He created each one of us.”
    What a lovely thought, Laura. Thank you for sharing about an art form whose metaphor is as golden as its end product… For in weakness we are made strong! Amen.
    May your heart continually overflow with His joy,
    HBHW

3. Sharon says

“And the object increased in valuable because of the repair. Because it was broken.”

OK, that is beautiful and brought me to tears. Yes, I am broken, but the Lord can make great use of a *mended* clay vessel.

And the greatest value of any broken thing is our Savior on the cross. The gold of salvation was poured out for us – and can now fill the broken spaces inside of us.

GOD BLESS!

I love, love, love what Annie taught you! What a perspective-shifter. Praising God with you for the refreshment you received. Thanks for these peeks into your retreat. Grace to you in Jesus.

Isn’t that a beautiful metaphor for what God does with us, C? Annie is an artist and she created a beautiful piece symbolizing that theme for us. Maybe I’ll post a picture I took of her art later. The lighting in that room was so poor that my photos won’t do it justice.

It was a God-filled weekend, Sarah. So much loveliness. I don’t know why I forget how times like these are needed. I always wait too long—until my spirit is parched and dry. Feeling well-watered today 🙂

And, Kris? You are the loveliest of door holders. Thank you for making this weekend possible for me and so many thirsty women. Your beautiful heart ministered to so many. Rest up, Beloved. Soon you’ll have to start thinking about next year … (((grin)))

8. soulstops says

Laura,
    Love that Annie…and you:) I am so happy to read you experienced God’s abundance this weekend…smiling wide here 🙂

9. SimplyDarlene says

Is that More Than Rubies in the bottom image?

Been missing you, miss L. I’m sure glad you got some filling.

Blessings.

Oh Laura! This is beautiful … and I still can’t put into words what God has done in me through the weekend … maybe because it was just a start, a glimpse of what He will be doing. Meeting you was just a joy! Truly, delightful!! 🙂

11. Jody Ohlsen Collins says

Laura, I’m so pleased to hear that arrived at the Retreat ‘brittle and dry’ but left refreshed and overflowing. The broken pieces being made into something beautiful and new is our Women’s Retreat theme this June, too. And you, my friend, are beautiful.