Playdates with God: Creature Love

Bonnie is helping me remember.

She likes to be outside, to lie in the sun. A great deal of time is spent sniffing the grasses and she has made an enemy of the dandelions—stalking and striking like a giant cobra until her whiskers are white with fluffy seeds. When I delight in her silly antics, I am kin to St. Francis and I understand why he is said to have preached to the birds.

So I am her glad companion, sitting in the sun and letting spring sing her song around me. I had forgotten the way birdsong makes the air lighter, and the poetry of the wind in the trees. When I close my eyes I can hear the hum of the bumblebee’s wings as she collects her sweetness. To stretch out in fresh-cut grass under a tent of blue sky is to wonder at my own smallness.

And the lilac. Yesterday as we walked together through the back yard I smelled her perfume. The blooms have not yet fully unfolded, but the tight panicles seemed to me like fingers beckoning us closer. So I pulled out the kitchen step stool and my camera and had a closer look.

This, the lens of joy.

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Jody Ohlsen Collins says

Lilacs…………yes, God’s most heavenly fragrance. And your Bonnie–well, I can see why she brings you such joy!

Love all the photos, Bonnie and lilacs (which I don’t think grow here). “This careful tending she requires invites me to slow down, to focus outward and not on my unruly thoughts; taking care of her does not allow time for brooding.” Yes! That was exactly my experience when I adopted Steinway two decades ago and when I took a nanny job for an infant the following year. And I know just what you mean about the birds’ song. Even if I can’t go for a walk, just sitting outside to listen helps my heart. A blessed, joyful week to you, my friend!

3. Sharita Knobloch says

Love this, Laura! Thanks for the reminder to slow down… It also motivates me to go outside and chillax– we are supposed to have B-E-Autiful weather in WA this week, so praying I have the opportunity to enjoy it! Thanks, lady.

This is “the lens of joy” for all of us, Laura. Love your words and your eye for beauty! And I’m so glad God has used Bonnie to bring healing, humor and joy to your grieving heart, my friend!

5. Sharon says

Bonnie is adorable. My grandbeagle, Marty, also helps me keep in touch with the things that are really important. Love, loyalty, joy, contentment. He has taught me many things about my relationship to God. I am grateful for the gift of *creature love* – all things great and small, the good Lord loves them all!

GOD BLESS!

6. soulstops says

Oh, Laura,
    Bonnie is too cute..and dogs do bring us outside more and slow us down to look…oh, the scent of lilacs 🙂 Happy to read how Bonnie brings joy to you, my friend…((hugs))

7. smoothstones says

I’m so happy to hear that He’s still using animals to illuminate the good and bring it out in/of us.