Playdates with God: The Hard Work

We slept in a little this morning, let sunlight sifting through the sheers stir us gently into waking. When I took Bonnie out, the dew was still cool on the grass, giving the morning a scent of green, lapping at my too-long pajama pants until the bottoms were soaked clean-through. We had some friends over last night and there was laughter dished around the table and good stories poured out like wine. Standing in the aftermath this morning, with grass tracked over the floors I just cleaned and a dishwasher overflowing … the memory of a full house feels like a prayer. And I think it again, how we were made for each other.
We were made for community and it’s easy for me to forget because the way I live so much inside of my head most days. I’m happy that way, for the most part—always have been. It’s hard work to make room for others, when you’re worried about how old the carpet looks and how the flower beds need a good weeding and how all they’d have to do is peek through that door to see just how far behind you are on the laundry.
But this morning, echoing in my mind are the conversations shared in the soft glow of candlelight and I feel it in my bones: this kind of prayer is worth the hard work.
Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. HisFireFly says

yes, it is often easier to stay alone, our small families, tight and content — but when we open the doors and see His Kingdom come… yes

2. DeanneMoore says

Our lifetime friends texted us to come across the street to watch the sunset last night. It slipped fuchsia behind a bank of clouds, and we laughed because there is so much joy in this world—all the time, but especially after the sunset. Hope to be linking again soon. Life had me on a detour of late, but but looking forward to putting pen to page again and writing in community.

3. bluecottonmemory says

Maybe if we didn’t spend so much time in our heads (I so get that) – we wouldn’t value the time over the table with others so much – and we wouldn’t hear the prayer of it! A house cries out for this breaking of bread over the table – or maybe it’s oru souls!

4. smoothstones says

I love partying with others and sleeping in, too. Happy Memorial Day, Laura, and may it continue to be a restful day for you.

5. Sharon says

Our pastor is doing a series on the concept of *one another* in the Word. It’s been most enlightening. We were created in the image of God, and God is all about relationship. May we learn to “get out of our own heads” (as you said!) and revel in the joy that can be found in the presence of others.

GOD BLESS!

Community is a theme I’ve been reading this morning & it’s hitting the right places. There’s a soul-deep way we live that runs across intimacy with God, spouse, kids, each other that is beautiful, clear, good and meant to be increasingly ours in the moments. Meditating on it is giving me great peace this morning in the midst of much travel and more to come of the next couple of months;) so thank you:) I can say there is a stilling and knowing who and whose we are that flows in, out, all around and gives life to community. {hugs:}

7. lindalouise says

Yes. I struggle with it too Laura, but I’m always so thankful for community. It’s just making myself take part 🙂

“We were made for community.” I have to remind my introverted, solitary-loving self of that a lot. I’ve been reading Gary Moon this past week talking about God as a community of creativity, and he invites us in to participate.

9. Kelly Hausknecht Chripczuk says

Your post, along with another I just read, reminds me how this holiday weekend (and others) is so important in the way it gives just a little more room for us to awaken to and reconnect with the things that rally matter. This, in its own way, is an honor to those who died for our country – that we should reawaken to the life we have.

“… the memory of a full house feels like a prayer.” What a beautiful thought. Thank you for reframing the hospitality aspect of community in that way. Yes, it is hard work. I’m glad you are giving yourself to it and reaping its rewards. (Sending a virtual scratch behind the ears to Miss Bonnie!)