Playdates with God: Visitation

The neighbor kids are learning to climb trees. P is finishing up kindergarten and her brother, T, is in preschool—two petite, fair-skinned sweeties who are teaching me to go after life with gusto. She pushes her miniature green plastic Adirondack chair up underneath a low-growing branch and uses it as a step to pull herself up into the skinny tree in their front yard. He stands below, red hair glinting in the sun, offering words of advice.  And when she gets stuck—too afraid to come down—her little brother finds the way to the rescue.

The other day I sat on the front porch steps with Bonnie watching these antics when they spied us from across the street. For children, there is no invitation like a puppy. Soon they were both sitting with us on the steps, P holding a colorful umbrella over her head to keep off the sun and wearing all those wonderful freckles on the bridge of her nose, and T squealing with delight as he chased Bonnie around the porch.
The sun was falling warm on our shoulders and the sky was cerulean blue above us and for a moment I thought I was in paradise. P told me in earnest about their upcoming beach vacation and the sound of her voice was music to these mamma ears. I wanted to keep them for a while but their own mamma came to retrieve them, grinning sheepishly at the waywardness of children.

As I watched them walk away from me that day, I thought about what it might really mean to have faith like a child. I thought about how Jesus welcomed the little children into his arms and said we must become like them to enter the kingdom. And I realized I had just been given a little visit from the kingdom—a little taste of heaven—right there on my front porch steps.

I have some exciting news! My book, Playdates with God: Having a Childlike Faith in a Grownup World is now available for pre-order on Amazon! I was so excited to see it there, all dressed up–waiting and expectant–for your eyes and your heart. This community has been the driving force behind the book and I can’t wait to share it with you! Check it out here!

This week, at The High Calling, we’re having a discussion about Burnout. Are you feeling tired? Worn out? Need some refreshing? I hope you find something here to encourage you.

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

I love this, Laura: “I had just been given a little visit
    from the kingdom.” That’s how I feel, too, when my sweet neighbor child visits me. God did something special when he started everybody out as children. I’m glad the cycle continues, the kingdom grows on.

It’s always a taste of heaven when small ones are around. Oh to get that hold on their joy of life! My neighbor girl has beautiful red curls and my day is brightened every time I get a glimpse of her.

3. Kelly Hausknecht Chripczuk says

Hhhmmmm, if that’s the case, I do believe I live in the midst of the kingdom (and Jesus did say, ‘The kingdom is in your midst.’) Funny thing, I wrote a poem this morning about the same thing (my words have shrunk, to my great alarm, so that all I can manage these days is poetry). It’s not what I linked up, so I’ll pop it in here:

My son comes walking to me, barefoot,

across the wet summer
    grass.

The morning light lays soft around him

and in that moment I see how it
    is,

how every child is a contemplative,

exposed in every way to the Now.

“This is what you must become,” Jesus
    whispers

and I see now how it has always been, God

and his children, barefoot, the morning
    grass

cool and wet beneath their feet.

I’m very excited about your book, Laura, I’m grateful for eyes like yours in this world that help us all see a little clearer.

4. Sharon says

What a precious post. Yes, sometimes we are given little *tastes* of heaven, and often they come in the faces of children. Praying that the Lord will reawaken the little girl in me, and that I will love Him with pure joy!

Congrats on your book, Laura! Most exciting news!!

GOD BLESS!

5. Elisha Wolter says

Hi Laura, I love the way you describe the little girls freckles! This is a lovely reminder to look for those little glimpses of heaven. I’m going to check out your new book right now! Bit excited!

6. Jody Ohlsen Collins says

“A little visit from the Kingdom of God”–I feel like that sometimes when I hang out with Kindergartners who draw me pictures and tell me stories and give me hugs. Jesus loves the children….the best, I think, probably because they are the least inhibited……..in every way. I would like to fall in love with Jesus with abandon, just like a child,too. I find I am desiring that intimacy more and more…You (and the other Laura) have had a lot to do with that.

There is nothing like hanging out with little ones to remind us of how we are to be! So excited for you & your book~ a definite preorder :) May you be blessed in the coming months as you go through the publication process!

How lovely!! Beautiful even.

Excited about your book. I just pre-ordered it. Thank you for commenting on my post about Amy at Michelle’s place. I was on vacation when that went live and had on internet access. I just returned over the weekend and yesterday was her birthday, so I remained quiet.

I love you, Laura…your words always touch and inspire me…can’t wait to read your book.