Playdates with God: Yes

My playdates have been small lately, but rich. So many things tie me to the house—this new puppy, a boy in band camp, the garden in need of tending. This is the in-between time, the time of waiting for summer’s end when the earth and I can breathe a deep sigh.

For Father’s Day, the boys bought their dad a hammock and isn’t that just perfect? It’s where Bonnie and I have been grabbing our dates with the Father lately. Every afternoon or early evening we recline under the Maple tree, listen to the meadow grasses offer a shooshing to the wind, and memorize the way light falls through reaching branches.
Bonnie stretches out beneath the cupping cloth; she finds a stick to chew or digs for grubs in the grass. And I just listen. The sounds the ear tunes out in the course of a day amaze. It is more than birdsong; there is the steady ticking of metal on wood as the wiry fence gives sway, the sounds of distant traffic, the bark of a dog, squee of a young child … and if I listen closely, I can hear the buzzing of my friends the honeybees.
When I was a girl, this was what the end of summer looked like. Exhausted by the spending of all those long, hot days, my sister and I would rest on our backs in the high grass, stare up into the sky, and study the clouds. This was true extravagance, I know, and how my heart longs for that kind of freedom once again.
In his book My Bright Abyss, poet and essayist Christian Wiman says, “To be innocent is to retain that space in your heart that once heard a still, small voice saying not your name so much as your nature, and the wherewithal to say again and forever your wordless but lucid, your untriumphant but absolute, yes.”

Yes. Yes. A thousand times, yes.

This week at The High Calling, we’re talking about the importance of the work we do. Every. Little. Bit. Join us?

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Kelly Hausknecht Chripczuk says

Oh, I love that quote, Laura. To me it describes the essence of vocation – God who speaks our nature and we who, trustingly, say yes. I want to set up a hammock here someday soon, but for now we’re enjoying the grass.

2. JosephPote says

“This is what the Sabbath moment restores to me. Innocence. A naming of my true nature. Space to say yes to a God who is always asking. “
    Loved this! Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your Sabbath rest with us, Laura!

3. Sharon says

LAURA! Emergency here! Something is wonky with my link. I went through all the normal steps, but for some reason, the link is being hijacked by other sites like Expedia and something else.

PLEASE REMOVE IT!

I’ll check back, and try to link up later…grrr.

4. Sharon says

I see that it’s my fault – I typed in the web address wrong – PLEASE REMOVE IT…

My bad. I’m stressed this morning…

5. bluecottonmemory says

I need to do that more in the morning – but it is so hard at 6 a.m.- but I agree – so worth it. When I do – find that time with him like that in the evening – it’s not so much my name as “my nature” – that He calls. I cannot wait to hear the name He has for me – because it is a name that resonates the very nature of who He created me to be:) Blessings, friend – as this summer edges to its end.

6. Sharon says

Laura, this was so beautiful. I almost felt like I was with you in that peaceful spot, and it was a respite I needed this morning. I love the quote from Wiman – and isn’t it true? We want to be known – and to be known completely and loved unconditionally by God is a gift much greater than I can comprehend. But YES! I am so very grateful for it!

GOD BLESS!

(Thank you sooo much for fixing the link!)

Our pastor said yesterday that we were created to be Sabbath needy. Your playdate spot looks like a good place to have that need filled! ~Pamela

8. soulstops says

Laura,
    This is so touching…yes to the “wherewithal” to keep saying “yes” to how God made us…made me smile to think of you and Bonnie resting on that hammock together 🙂

9. Laurie Collett says

Such beautiful images and word pictures of peace, Laura. May we keep saying Yes until He comes again. Thanks for hosting & God bless.

Lying in the grass and staring at the clouds. Mmmmm. That says luxury and times gone by to me as well. Thanks for reminding me of the beautiful views, Laura.
    Blessings, Janis

11. Kaylene Yoder says

“This is what the Sabbath moment restores to me. Innocence. A naming of my true nature. Space to say yes to a God who is always asking.” I loved this! Such a beautiful post. So glad I stopped by this week! Blessings!

12. SimplyDarlene says

it’s too hot for napping outside – maybe at midnight – then i’d watch the stars instead of clouds, aye?

(miss you)

blessings.

13. Leanne says

I had no idea where to start with a bunch of posts I wanted to write about my recent retreat — your post got me going!

Trackbacks