Playdates with God: A Small Bit of Wonder

On Saturdays, he likes to get things done—mow the grass, putter in the garage, tie up loose ends from the week. For me, Saturdays are for slowing; doing things that feed the soul. Sometimes, these two polar views knock up against each other and the friction can start a fire.
This past Saturday was such a day.
There are too many things that need doing when a person stops and looks around. How do you choose just one? But he did, and all the other things screamed in his ear as he was trimming up trees and bushes. So, instead of taking my Sabbath, I decided I should be a good helpmate. I went out to the garage, collected the rake, and joined him in the yard.
Together, we made quick work of the chore, and I was feeling glad about it. That’s when I saw him (or her). He was surfing on one of our azalea bushes, all bulging eyes and creepy arms. I ran in the house and got my camera; spent a few moments lost in wonder.
What do you think?

Isn’t that just like God to tuck a tiny bit of wonder into the chores of life?

Playdates with God: Having a Childlike Faith in a Grown-up World officially releases in one week! I want to thank this community for their company and encouragement over these long miles. And let you know … it’s not too late to order your copy!

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Mary Flaherty says

Laura, I found one of them on my car a few weeks ago. Such beauty! Funny thing is, only a few nights before, I took a picture of a toad that has taken up residence on our patio. Since then, I look for him. He comes out every night and sits there for hours. The dog sniffs at him, he hops away a bit, and the dog moves on. I’ve come to think of Mr. Toad as our outdoor pet. There is beauty in all things; we just have to stop long enough to see it. Mr. Toad is my Playdate With God this week.

What a “wonder” you truly captured, Laura. You have an amazing eye that not only captures this moment but paints with whimsical colors and composition! And what a good spouse you are! I don’t think I would have been as cooperative. 😉

I love the bits of wonder God shares with me. I wish I would think to take a picture. Yours is just amazing. God’s creativity is amazing. I have my Playdates book all ready to take on my mini trip this week. It was all I could do not to open it up the moment I got it out of the box. ~Pamela

Those pictures are incredible, Laura. I love praying mantises. One of the few bugs I will touch. 🙂 I like to kick back on the weekends too, but yeah, if hubby is working on something I can help with, guilt usually gets me. ha.

5. Jody Ohlsen Collins says

So Laura, here’s what I heard…. when we are obedient to the call of the Spirit and take that path rather the ‘want to’s’ of our own ideas, die to what makes us happy, Jesus just blesses us and says, “See you can trust me to show you amazing things right in the middle of the I-don’t-want-to-do-it mundane.” 🙂
    Praying mantises prove God has a sense of humor, hands down.

6. June says

He’s a fine specimen, Laura! I love praying mantis – tises, lol! Proof of alien life on earth! It’s just like our God to bless our obedience with a small bit of JOY and wonder. So glad you have eyes to see, my friend!

God’s creativity is always amazing! I love it when He pops in with a quick reminder of that as I am spending time surrounded by His cathedral of wonder. Awesome pictures!
    Blessings,