Playdates with God: How to Count the Moments Holy

IMG_5633

The days slant away from the light and the moments are silver, etched onto the edge of time. We begin to prepare our hearts for Advent but the church calendar tells me we are still in ordinary time. The liturgical year is divided into the seasons of Lent/Easter, Advent/Christmas, and Ordinary Time. In this case the term “ordinary” does not mean “usual or average.” We get the term from the Latin word ordinalis, which means to be numbered in series. Therefore, Ordinary Time is called “ordinary” simply because the weeks are numbered.

In Ordinary Time, we celebrate the mystery of Christ as a whole—his life, ministry, miracles, and teachings. These days remind us to view all of life through the lens of holy. When God took on flesh and became one of us, didn’t he elevate the dignity of human nature for us all? Did he not infuse resurrection into the ordinary moments? Elevating the passing of time to something holy? When we number the days—when we count the moments, the moments count, don’t they? By simply paying attention our awareness of the holy in each moment is heightened.

I’ve been trying to pay attention. So last night, when I am doing yoga and I hear the strumming of a guitar through his bedroom door, I am a moth to a flame. I sit on his bed with Bonnie and he plays for me. His fingers move across those frets, sure and steady and I see him become the song.

Sometimes, when I watch my children, I can’t believe that something so beautiful came from this body. I watch the way they move, how the corners of their mouths pull up into a smile, the squint of their blue eyes…and I am amazed.

We cannot get these moments back.

Tomorrow morning we drive for hours to look at more colleges, try to weigh the future out with one hand.

Here is one way I will count the moments holy: I will ask him to make music for me more often.

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Laura Boggess

Comments

I love this, Laura! This idea that the passing of time is, itself, holy.

It reminds me of Ephesians 5:15-16:

“See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.”

“Redeeming the time” has always struck me as such an interesting phrase!

Blessings to you, on this ordinary day!

Laura, it is amazing to watch our children grow & to reap the blessing from their lives. I will never forget my son preaching a message, about a year ago, which deeply impacted my soul. Parenting is an amazing journey which our God invites us into & one I will forever be grateful to have been a part. Blessings, sweet friend!

3. ro elliott says

Hey there… it’s been a while… congrats on your book!!! I hope to read it in the near future… get it in the line:) I always have something I take with me for the day from reading here… this… elevating the passing of time as Holy!!!…. my day will be better already:) blessings as you start this new journey… these moments can feel a bit like an earthquake… changing the topography of the family for ever… but the new landscape has a beauty of it’s own!!!

Ah, Laura! I’m just a step or so ahead of you. And my youngest is a guitarist too and I love listening to him whenever there’s an opportunity. Most of the time, though, he doesn’t play for us individually (too self-conscious), but I love it when he gets to play with our church band. I also remember when my oldest son was going off to college and it was so hard for me to let go. It probably took a full year of him being at college before I “kind of” got used to his absence. 🙂 Savor those sweet moments, my friend. And what a blessing you give your son for enjoying his music and seeing the wonder of who he is with a love that only a mother can feel. In that, the ordinary becomes the extraordinary!

Yes we cannot get these moments back, but when we offer our time to God, even ordinary days are sanctified. How blessed we are! So much to appreciate and be joyful for! patsy

6. Lynn D. Morrissey says

Laura, this is a lovely post, and a timely reminder. We must savor moments with our children. They fly away so soon. Sheridan has chosen to live at home while she attends college, but she will graduate next May! And we just got finished *searching* for colleges. Where has this time flown?! I loved how yoiu and your son savored a musical moment. Sheridan and I often enjoy singing together, and we accompany each other on the piano. Plus, she has decided to study guitar! She began teaching herself from YouTube videos and really took off. So this summer, she took several lessons. I can’t tell you how amazed I am with her, just as you are with your son. Enjoy these playdates with him! Speaking of which…………I have begun reading Playdates with God. What a treausre!! Thank you for writing such a beautiful book.
    Love
    Lynn

My son laid back on me last night as I read. It was not wholly comfortable, but I’m grabbing up these moments of physical closeness while I still can. Thank you from one mother of boys to another for sharing your wisdom with us.

I didn’t realize that “ordinary” time in this season just means numbered. 🙂 Glad to know!

“We cannot get these moments back.” Oh, I feel the weight of this, the holiness of this. Enjoy your time with your son, listening to him make music.

Trackbacks