Playdates with God: First Monday in Advent

Christmas-Eve-2010-048

This morning, I light a candle and whisper a prayer to Jesus to make his presence known. The light flickers and I think of our Advent wreathe … waiting. In church yesterday, we lit the Hope candle, flocked by greenery and those other four waiting lights.

In the olden days, the pre-Christian German tribes lit candles as a sign of hope during the long, cold days of winter. These ancient peoples prayed to the god of light to “turn the wheel of the earth” back toward the warming light of the sun.

They did not know who he was. But we do. We have this: good news of great joy.

We light these candles, not to turn the wheel of the earth. For it is our hearts that need the turning. The prophet Jeremiah tells us the heart is deceitful above all things … and isn’t it the truth? Don’t our hearts seek all that shimmers, that great noisy bustle, the crazy excess that this season offers?

Don’t I worry that the gifts I bring won’t be enough?

I sit in this warm house and listen as wind murmurs against the chimney; I watch through the window as it dances with undressed trees. The lights on the Christmas tree wink soft and my boys’ voices drift down the stairs to me—Thanksgiving break is over and it’s back to school.

This moment pulses with light—this beginning of the wreathe journey flickers and then fans into flame. Christ is all Light. And I know the real joy of Christmas is not in the manger. It is right here—in this moment and in all the moments he has given us in this resurrected life.

the great wheel turns—tilting,
groping, swinging me around…
back into warmth, away

from darkness into hope.
light a candle in my
heart for every moment,

until the flames consume
all with the red blood
of your love.

Christ is all Light

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Laura Boggess

Comments

He knew how desperately we’d need that hope, in the dailyness as well as in the grand scheme of life …

I’m grateful He discerned. I’m grateful He loved us enough.

I’m grateful He’s coming again …

I love your post, the whole Advent thing is still a bit new to me, we always celebrated Christmas and Jesus was always the centre of it but Advent wasn’t. I am enjoying learning more about what Advent is about.

Beautiful words sweet lady! I esp. love the imagery of lighting a candle in our hearts. What great imagery for the way the Holy Spirit has inflamed all of us to share the Gospel and have a special focus on Jesus during the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season. Thank you for starting my Monday off on the right foot! Blessings!

So grateful this season starts with Hope – “And hope does not disappoint us….” (Rom. 5:5) for He so dearly loves us. So glad to have read this today! Blessings to you Laura!

Laura, you make Mondays so enjoyable– because I always look forward to stopping by your place for encouraging, beautiful words via your link-up. Love how you set the context for advent– a reminder I certainly needed. Keep up His great work, friend– you are making SUCH a difference!

6. Lynn D. Morrissey says

Sometimes I wish I could turn the wheel of my life back, to times of innocence and play. But I like your take on this, Laura, that it’s our hearts that need the turning, and if we turn our hearts toward the Light, then we are always turning toward Him. And He is very much in our present, where I need to stay focused. Bless you for sharing, dear one.
    Love
    Lynn

Living His resurrection – not the manger – oh, yes! I love the manger – but I want to live the resurrection! Your post made me think of this:
    “I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come (Ephsians 1: 16-20).
    Shalom, Laura – I so love how you share what He gives you!

Waiting with you, Laura, in this season of Advent, for his Hope to shine in our hearts. I often find myself in the dark with the candles lit just to watch the flames dance and pray for His peace to be close and full in our moments. You are right, this light that leads us is not in the manger, thankfully, it is here in our hearts and as we shine for him, we begin to dance like the flames bringing His beauty and hope to others.

Thanks for sharing your Advent Hope today!
    Blessings,