Playdates with God: Snow Cone

snow-angels-008When the snow came, I watched through the bay window as the neighbor children frolicked. They lie down in it and rolled across the yard, they scooped big armfuls up and dumped them on each other; they climbed the tree and knocked mounds of it from the limbs. When I took Bonnie out, I heard P say of her little brother, “He’s eating it!” Sure enough, when I peered around the side of their house, T was sitting in a snow garden, scooping bitefuls into his mouth.

Their excitement was contagious, and, if I hadn’t had an appointment, I may have joined in their play right then and there. As it was, I remembered the last time I made a snow angel, lost myself in becoming part of the landscape.

This is what the children teach me, how to lose myself. They enter fully into their play—touching, tasting, joining with their surroundings in every way imaginable.

This is one of the seven qualities of play that Dr. Stuart Brown mentions in his book Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul: a diminished consciousness of self.

In his book Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives, Wayne Muller calls this “beginner’s mind”. He cites Suzuki Roshi as describing this as “a condition of being able to embrace and accept a certain level of inevitable unknowing.”

In play, we make it up as we go along—lost in story, lost in the moment. I try to do this a little bit every day now, lose myself. It keeps my heart young, my mind agile.

Later that snow day, after I returned from all my grown-up things, the snow was still fresh and pristine in the back yard. I went out to see it.

And I took a spoon.

I’ve been invited to be part of a wonderful new website that celebrates the gift of motherhood. Being a mom is one of my favorite things. Will you check it out today

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Laura Boggess

Comments

Laura, so perfect a post for today as our area is waiting the arrival of a blizzard – (about 24″). Hmm, maybe I will get my spoon out now 🙂 It is so true that children teach us how to forget ourselves as adults & enter into their world. This morning as I sat on the floor with my 2YO granddaughter, Jocelyn taught me again the joys of making a Lego tower solely for the JOY of knocking it down 🙂 Have a great week!

2. Kelly Chripczuk says

🙂 My boys expect me to bring snow in by the cupful for them to eat around the wood stove. There’s something so primal there – I love the image of becoming part of the landscape.

Having a playful attitude is something I still struggle with, but I try to get over it. I’ve had a wonderful weekend playing and having a beginner’s mind. Thanks, Laura, for the encouragement to keep it up.

Oh, Laura, another beautiful post about snow………..and makesyoumom is so beautiful.
    Three Lauras in one place….(and more).
    I’m so looking forward to what’s in store.

Spoonfuls of play are what help the medicine and monotony of life go down! Cue Julie Andrews! ha! Great thoughts as always, Laura! We are never too old to make room for “play” in our lives. Thanks for hosting!

Laura,
    I made snowangels last year with my grandson. it was wonderful. Lying on your back looking at the sky (watching him out of one eye). We do need to be like little children, especially to know God.
    Blessings,
    Janis

I want to make snow angels – and be young enough to stuff handfuls in my mouth! LOL I’m hoping tomorrow there will be more than spoonfuls of snow in my backyard – and that I will go out and open love letters from Shaddai in them! I’ll let you know if I make a snow angel!

I have been contemplating this power of rest, Laura. I am eager to find these books you shared and spend time contemplating the ideas within. It is timely, today.. I am writing about rest a bit. I really think that this is a continual process, this learning to rest. I am not a huge “play” person so it takes a lot of thought on my part.
    Thanks for reminding us to play with God, Laura.
    Blessings!
    Dawn

Laura, I loved the freshness of this post and the invitation to freely play. To enjoy God in His creation.
    I also just listened to your book trailer and fell in love with it. To have that spark of the first love with Jesus would be wonderful. Thank you for showing the way!
    Blessings,
    Janis

10. Donna C says

Here in NZ we have an institution called Playcentre. It’s kind of like kindergarten, except there are no paid staff, it’s run entirely by parents. Messy play is encouraged, and is the rule, rather than the exception! What you are talking about is what Playcentre calls ‘flow’, which is that state of being where you lose consciousness of everything and everyone around you, except for what you are doing. You are lost and absorbed in the joy of the moment. That could be swinging on a swing, playing in the sandpit, dancing, painting… anything that entrances you. Children are much better at getting ‘in the flow’ than adults, but adults can re-acquaint themselves with it, if they allow themselves. Tomorrow I am taking my almost-5-yr-old to our last ever Playcentre session, where I fully expect both of us to get covered in paint, glitter, sand and possibly dirt… 🙂 It’s the last of the lasts, before my last baby starts school, and I am going to miss being in this space, where creative play is the norm… sigh.

Trackbacks