Playdates with God: When You Don’t Want to Go Back to Work

5703038665_f803b9c733_z

The holiday is over and this morning we step back into the ticking clock. I awaken before the alarm sounds with urgency, fill those final moments of dreaming with prayer. I hear one of the boys get in the shower down the hall and so I rise to do the kitchen piddling; pack the lunches, fix a simple breakfast. It is twenty-eight degrees outside and the cold adds to the stiffness of the morning. We move through the required actions woodenly, barely lifting our eyes to one another.

The beauty of the rest is that it re-fuels us for the work of our hands, right? Then why this dread? Why this dragging of the feet? I have gotten used to having them underfoot, listening to him breathe beside me. Yet, even as I kiss him goodbye I realize that I would not miss him so much if he were with me all the time.

This morning I watch a full moon sink below the dark horizon and give thanks for the rhythms of this life. We all bear God’s image and were created for the steady weave of work and rest. I have lived long enough to know that happiness cannot exist in one without the other. This is by design. We were created for both. To wish one away would be to miss the beauty in the other. Work and rest exist as two parts of a whole.

I am always telling my patients that the words they say to themselves matter. Our self-talk determines the ways we see. This morning, I practice what I preach. Here are three simple steps I take when my heart dreads to move forward.

• Pray Scripture. My favorite go-to verses to jumpstart my spirit are Philippians 4:4-8.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

• Give Thanks. I thank God for the work he has given us and spend time reflecting on specific moments during our break that I am grateful for. Meditating on these things gives weight to both the work and the rest, reminding my heart of the value of both.
  •  Take off my shoes. Ok, maybe not literally, but I remind myself that I stand on holy ground. No matter where I am or what I am doing, God cares about the details of my life. My work matters. I need to remind myself of this or I might be tempted to perform my daily tasks half-heartedly. Scripture tells us to “work as if working for the Lord and not for man.” When I work with the knowledge that the way I do my work has eternal consequences, it invigorates my efforts.

In the end, it’s all about the bigger picture. Every good thing comes from God and returns to those great hands. Because of my frailties, I can forget that I also rest in his hands.

What about you? What are you whispering into your heart as you step back into the usual?

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Laura Boggess

Comments

I so love it when the boys are home and the “schedule” stops for a while. You are so right; we need both work a rest. I sure could use a little more rest – but, like you, will praise our God who goes through both the work and rest with us! Blessings Laura! So glad to start my week at your place!

“I remind myself that I stand on holy ground.”
    Yes. Why do I forget that so quickly? Thanks for the reminder, Laura, and for the gentle nudge to go back gracefully into our routines. Beautiful, as always.

Laura, you have spoken to my heart this morning! We’re in sub-zero temps here in Wisconsin, so I was hoping for a school cancellation day, or even a two-hour delay, but no. Off we go on the usually school routine once again. This week I am attempting to work from home without my usual babysitter coverage for my four-year-old. But last night God gave me a dream that put everything in perspective. I dreamed my husband pressured me to work full-time in an insurance office, and when school was cancelled, I could not get home to my girls. I woke up feeling so relieved for the freedom to work from home. So rather than grumbling about “how am I going to get this all done,” I am praising God for my circumstances and counting them a blessing. Hugs to you this chilly morning!

Arctic chill blowing through the Hudson Valley too, but yet we are warmed by His love. And even tho my hubby and I work from home there was still an adjustment to make this morning since we too were on Christmas break last week. We overslept this morning till 7:45 (instead of our usual rising between 4:30 and 5am) and yet all things work together and we are all in this together. Thanks, Laura, for always sharing your heart so beautifully. Blessings to you and yours in 2015.

5. Sharon says

Last year as I stepped into my new year God whispered “JOY” as my word for the year. Little did I know that a little over two weeks into January, God would take my dad home. In the looking back, I can see how He stretched me and taught me the deeper meaning of joy. This year He has whispered the word “HEALING” into my heart. And though I pray for some healing in the areas where I’m tired and sad and hurt, I know that He will reveal deeper truths.

No day is ordinary when we wake with the Lord, and He will whisper great revelations if we take the time to listen.

GOD BLESS!

I share in this struggle to get back into a routine. I think the dread of the coming work is often worse than the work itself. Soon we will get used to our daily routines again, find a good rhythm…that is what I am praying for. Thank you for the reminder that what we are doing is all for God, therefore, we should do it wholeheartedly and with thanks.

I posted on FB today that I was happy to be back at work because now maybe I will get something done around the house. I find that I’m more productive when I’m working. If I have nothing to do, I won’t do anything. So, as much as I often long to not have to work, I know that isn’t the best or healthiest thing for me! Great post, Laura.

Philippians 4 is so rich with truth and comfort. Our late pastor chose it as his go-to-book when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Praise God for the joy we have in Him, despite all circumstances. Thanks for hosting & God bless!

Laura, this post so resonated with me probably as it contained three steps much the way the Lord whispered to me earlier this morning. Oh to remember that our self-talk truly does matter. May we speak His Word into our hearts & minds each day. So grateful for this post today.

Dear Laura,

This was a blessing… the words you wrote about standing on Holy Ground and our work really mattering.. I needed that today. I just sometimes forget the fact that what we are called to, when it is by His design, it is not measured as the world. And all those things that we think elevate us to success, really they don’t matter like we think and they don’t qualify us more.
    Thank you.. heart words that my fluttering soul took as medicine today.
    Blessings,