Playdates with God: In the Small

IMG_5537

artwork by Hannah Caley Bush

This morning when I take Bonnie around the house, the moon is a whisper in the sky. There is a white film masking the bowl of the Big Dipper, but I can see that it has tipped over, continued it’s slow emptying in the night as I slept. I take this lesson into my heart and pour it out as dark embraces me, grateful for the way the horizon traces earth—the way morning falls slowly, like a blanket shaken out and drifting down.

My friend Cheryl stopped by this weekend, she and her daughter in need of a layover to break up a long trip. While they were here, we sat by the hearth and talked about being small—how God has called us to the forgotten corners of our worlds. In these small places, it can feel as if time has erased my face, like the slow weathering on a stone statue. No parades, no celebrated Facebook status accompanies the ministry in the small. I develop amnesia for my features when there is little to reflect my image back to me. When I play the comparison game, this can be disconcerting, and I wonder if I have disappeared. But when I stay linked to God, arm-in-arm, I see that the slow weathering is etching new features into my stone anatomy, softening the sharp edges and conforming me closer to the Image I bear.

How I need to sit with friends and reflect on these things. How grateful I am for Cheryl and her kind heart. (Hebrews 10:24-25) We were made to be together, to remember together the faithfulness of God.

This morning in my readings, Christian Wiman tells me, “Faith is nothing more … than a motion of the soul toward God.” But he goes on later, “… It may be God who moves, the soul that opens for him.”

Outside my window, a male cardinal perches on a budding branch. Bonnie sleeps contentedly in my lap. I reflect on the weekend and time well spent with a friend. My soul is opening wide the door. Welcome, it sings, to the Holy One.

Welcome.

for a moth’s landing.
my heart is made
of flashing wings, a
stony cairn taking
flight—unburdened
by your love.

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Laura Boggess

Comments

The heart you have behind your poetry is remarkable friend. I love how you let your words flow seemingly effortless across this screen of mine. My soul is a bit lighter and ready to tackle the very messy Monday ahead of me. And you’ve helped me put behind an even messier weekend. 🙂 Thank you sweet friend for that gift. xoxo

I’m reading Wiman’s book by the early morning light too, Laura. “Small” is one of my words for this year (I can never pick just one). Small reminds me of the seed and calls me to return home and to trust in something bigger than myself. This, in particular, resonates with me, “When I play the comparison game, this can be disconcerting, and I wonder if I have disappeared. But when I stay linked to God, arm-in-arm, I see that the slow weathering is etching new features into my stone anatomy, softening the sharp edges and conforming me closer to the Image I bear.”

The sunrise here this morning was lavender – it always surprises me.

Laura, I always look forward to reading your posts. I just love your descriptive writing. I love the image (pun intended?) of developing amnesia of my features when there is nothing to reflect back. I often ponder your metaphors long after I read them. Thanks for that!

4. Lynn D. Morrissey says

So gorgeous, Laura, and your words really resonate today. I stopped to watch a cardinal in flight. It alighted briefly on a branch of the silver ash outside my kitchen window. The branch trembled with its touch and with its departure. And so did my soul. I wondered at its presence, and the message God might be sending to me on the brink of spring. And you captured some of it here. Thank you for words which take me deeper into God. Comparison kills the soul. Betrothal to Christ fulfills it. My theme this year is Bride. Thank you for reminding me to whom I’m betrothed. If I only have eyes for Him, then I won’t be comparing my soul to others’ souls and their accomplishments.
    Love you, Laura.
    Lynn
    PS You have a good friend in Cheryl!

I’m thankful God doesn’t measure ministry by size. Important work is important, regardless of any numbers or acclaim that does or does not accompany it. Thanks for this reminder today to stay linked to God in the small places, Laura. A beautiful work right here.

The unsung missionaries – the nurses, check-out clerks, teachers, mothers helping mothers – the unsung missionaries sharing Christ in the daily- “No parades, no celebrated Facebook status accompanies the ministry in the small” – but like the song in Les Miserables – “The world is big, but little people turn it around!”
    So glad we are loved by a God, who no matter how small we feel, forgotten we feel, He sees us! Blessings in your quiet places this week!

I am thankful for His love and the lifting of burdens. That one phrase encouraged me so much this morning — although this entire post is poetry and grace.
    Blessings, Laura. Hope you have a wonderful week finding beauty in the small things.

This speaks to my heart, Laura. I’ve tried to embrace the smallness, and when I manage even the tiniest of hugs I feel a freedom I know comes from Him. As you’ve said so beautifully, it somehow draws me closer to Him. He is using you in lovely ways to bless hearts. Much love, sweet friend.

I love all of it, but this part just touched that place that needed to hear the words today… “But when I stay linked to God, arm-in-arm, I see that the slow weathering is etching new features into my stone anatomy, softening the sharp edges and conforming me closer to the Image I bear.”

Thank you! Visiting you brings a breath of fresh air…

Blessings,
    Dawn

This post is stunning, Laura. We must decrease for Him to increase in our hearts. May we have a servant’s heart and live in the small to glorify Him. Thanks for hosting & God bless!

Trackbacks