Playdates with God: Spring Forward

IMG_2662

We are all a little grumpy this morning, feeling the full effect of springing forward. One son in particular was very vocal in his displeasure at the early rising.

“The time change gets us all out of sorts,” I said, by way of reassurance. It was a kind of, “Hey, we’re all in this together” sort of offering. But he refused to be comforted, grousing about more than an hour’s loss of sleep, dumping out all the stuff of life that is wrong right now.

“Next year,” I said, “ you won’t remember any of this. This too shall pass.” And I put my hands on his shoulders and looked up into his eyes.

This is how I spring forward: Keep the Bigger Story in mind. I’ve been reciting 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 to myself lately. Keeping those words like a banner before me. These are light and momentary struggles, I say to myself. What is unseen is eternal, I go on. And my soul responds with a heavy sigh, a deep surrender. Living into a thing is part of the discernment process. Sometimes that means living through some bumps in the road.

This morning, I read these words from Thomas a Kempis:

Many love Christ as long as they encounter no hardship; many praise and bless him as long as they receive some comfort from him. But if Jesus hides himself and leaves them for a while, they either start complaining or become dejected. Those, on the contrary, who love him for his own sake and not for any comfort of their own, praise him both in trial and anguish of heart as well as in the bliss of consolation … Where can we find anyone who is willing to serve God for nothing? It is surely rare to find a person spiritual enough to strip himself of all earthly things? And where can we find anyone so truly poor in spirit that he is free from being dependent on created things? Such a person is worth far more than the jewels brought from the most distant lands.”

Last week, the snow fell in heaping mounds around us. School was cancelled and we stayed home from work. But today? The world continues her slow melt. There is evidence of spring everywhere. God is working in this broken world. God is working in me. God is working in you. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. Time creates a lovely patina that cannot be achieved any other way—not bought, not earned, not crafted with my hands. But faith is this, sticking through the hard times because of what we know is on the other side. We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

*Winners! The winners of the two copies of Dawn Camp’s beautiful new devotional The Beauty of Grace are Kristin Smith and Michelle Cain! Congratulation, friends, I’ll be in touch.

god is working

Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Laura Boggess

Comments

I felt a bit like a grumpy child this morning myself. The rainy day isn’t helping, but I’m trying to surrender to the rhythm of the rain rather than the dreariness of the day. I look forward to the wealth of wildflowers it will spawn, just as I look forward to our inheritance together in heaven. Springing forward with JOY, with you, Laura. Have a blessed week!

Yes, Gos is, indeed, working in this broken world and in each of His beloved children.

I’ve been really excited, this year, at the time change…so looking forward to having more daylight hours for outdoor activities after work!

I must admit, though, my enthusiasm was a little dampened Monday morning, as I geared up to feed animals in the dark in the pouring rain…and as I dealt with our teenage son’s reluctance to get ready for school.

Thank you, Laura, for these encouraging words!

Your blog is proof that Monday’s are not throw-away days – but something beautiful! Learning myself and teaching my boys that right now is not where we’ll end up, not what our lives are defined by. They so don’t want to receive is sometimes, but I believe it sinks down – not easy – but it does. Mondays with God, Laura and Thomas a Kempis – that’s a good start to my week! Shalom!
    Maryleigh

I love the buttercups. I love Thomas a Kempis’s words. I love your words, Laura: “This is how I spring forward: Keep the Bigger Story in mind.” Yes. I want to do the same. The bigger story doesn’t change.

” . . . looked up into his eyes.” That’s not lost on me. You’re shrinking. 🙂

It would do us all good to look up into His eyes on these grumpy days, in these broken days. Love you!

This photo takes my breath away! Praise God for seasons, that the promise of spring lies beneath the snowy carpet of winter. Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless!

Thomas a Kempis is one of my favorites and I love this quote. My son, he is a morning person, was so proud of himself for remembering daylight savings time, however, he set his clock an hour behind. 🙂 So, he really had to adapt to the time change.

You are right, though. If we look at our circumstances in light of their transient present, we would be able to praise God in both the trial and the joy w/o hesitation!
    Blessings,
    Dawn

I welcome this time change…but it would be sooo nice if it was on a Friday afternoon at 4pm. 🙂 The snow melt has begun here in Michigan, too. I can’t wait to see new life popping up from the hard, brown ground. And i love how you say, “Momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory”…yes!

Trackbacks