Playdates with God: Anywhere, Everywhere

IMG_7053

IMG_7059

IMG_7050

The older I get the more difficult it is to hurry. Each moment awaits as a celebration of discovery. This can make things like deadlines and appointments tricky at times. I must allow myself space to move around in.

But still, I open my eyes to the morning in wonder. The day unfolds in the same way my peonies are opening—one petal at a time, clutching beauty. In my book I talk about what my weekly playdates have become. I want to share that little bit with you today, so you might be thinking about how to carry this feeling of communion with you throughout the day and into the years. I wrote this when our family was on a seaside vacation.

The gray parts of the day shimmer silver here and wink with secrets from the deep. It’s a strange sort of contrast how the vastness of this beauty can remind me how small I am and how treasured I am at the same time. So many times I have come to the sea and been filled with words that spill out on the page the way the ocean laps over the shore. But this time … I have been listening. There was a time when meeting God here ushered me into a sacred place. My mind would slow and my body relax. All the world became beauty as I centered on Him. But this time, I feel no such shift. It frightened me at first. Are you hiding from me? I asked Him. But His presence was strong within me, pulsing with each beat of my heart. And I realized that He has become so dear to me that the place we meet no longer matters. I carry Him inside of me and so every place is sacred.

I have been meeting with God for a weekly playdate for almost three years now. Those times I set apart to focus on our love have become almost indistinguishable from the every day in my mind. For, it is impossible to cultivate such intimacy and then turn it off again. My life has become a playdate. He is my most constant companion. Oh, yes, there are times when my gaze still shifts to worldly things. This will probably be so until I pass into glory. I am finite. Fallible. But practicing falling in love with God has changed me. It is still changing me.”~me in Playdates with God

Yes, still.

Every Monday I share one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find God and know joy. Click on the button below to add your link. I try to visit a few of your stories every week, so if you are a new visitor, be sure to let me know in the comments so I can welcome you. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us.

Laura Boggess

Comments

Laura, I just want to say I am most grateful to take the time to join your playdates. Thank you for the weekly reminder to pause, to see Him in the everyday. And so, this morning I sat looking out the window with 2YO Jocelyn as the mourning doves pecked at the seed on the ground around the bird feeder. She exclaimed, “I love your big chickens!” How I laughed as she remained unconvinced by me they were birds. In watching them, they really do move & act like chickens. May we see life through childlike eyes & in so doing, see something new. Blessings today to you! XO

Thanks so much for this peek inside your book, Laura, and for the linkup as well! Those sacred spaces and times with the Lord really do call to us!

Beautiful thoughts and images, Laura! I love your heart and way of seeing the sacred in the secular. The older I get the more I realise there really is no divide. God is everywhere. I’ve been inspired to buy your book and to link my imperfect words with yours today. Blessings 🙂

4. Lynn D. Morrissey says

So beautiful, Laura, and I LOVE. THAT. BOOK!!!!!!!! And I love you. And I love peonies. My grandmother used to “grow” them, and she called them poor man’s roses. I’m thinking we were richer, though, for her having grown them and for sharing a bounty of beauty with me as a child–not just in the garden, but in her sharing her life with me. And you do that too–share your life with us. Keep doing it so beautifully (and obviously, that is the only way that you could)!
    Love
    Lynn

Laura,
    Your words cause me to pause and experience these sacred moments. You are blessed and a blessing. Being a Christian and new writer, you inspire me to touch people as deeply and beautifully as you do. Thank you.

• says

Laura,

Oops! Sorry for the grammatical error. I meant to say, “Being a Christian and new writer, I am inspired by how deeply and beautifully you touch people.

I haven’t gotten to that place in the book yet. I’m reading it slowly. Savoring. Your words today made me wonder, am I so focused on meeting Him someplace, that I’m missing Him in the now. Yes, I think the answer is, yes. Awareness is the first step. Thank you, my dear Laura.

I love what you shared about God with you, wherever you are. I feel the same. But unfortunately I still struggle to find it difficult to hurry. 🙁 I find it all too easy. And I don’t want it to be easy; I want to drop hurry as much as possible. Still much for me to learn….

But practicing falling in love with God has changed me. Love this line for it speaks of the relationship that starts with His love for us drawing us to Him, wanting more of Him, leaning in on purpose to catch even the edges of His love. Beautiful post.

9. Sharon says

Beautiful, Laura. And I know what you’re talking about. I used to have times when I strongly *felt* the presence of the Lord. Lately, I’ve not had these stand-out moments. And there have been times when I’ve been tempted to think that something’s wrong. But, one day God spoke to me and told me that I didn’t need those *big* moments, that indeed I had learned the comfort of continually knowing His presence. Cymbal moments are wonderful, but deeper still is the constant tinkling of a bell…

GOD BLESS!

Praise God that He will never leave us nor forsake us, for He is within the heart of every believer! May we see Him at work and His reminders of His love wherever we go! Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless!

Trackbacks