Playdates with God: Fireflies

pumpkins-2011-005

When we walk down to the creek now, the air is sweet with the scent of honeysuckle. The boys still have a few more days of school left but already the spinning earth whispers, freedom in our ears. Every day weighs heavy with anticipation.

We sit out back at dusk, toes touching under the table…letting the slow coming on of night drip cool into these last hours. The wind is whispering over the meadow, stirring bushes and bending low the trees. It skims my skin, lifting with it the remnants of a tired day and for a moment I think I’m dreaming. But then, he sees it too—from the Maple—this faint winking.

It’s the first fireflies of the season and this quiet return always creates a celebration in my heart. After the initial welcome, we sit still and enjoy the show.

I sit and wiggle my toes over my man’s…think about the amazing way the world is designed…how the Almighty gives us seasons so we’ll remember the beauty that we so easily forget when we face it every day.

Every Monday I share one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find God and know joy. Click on the button below to add your link. I try to visit a few of your stories every week, so if you are a new visitor, be sure to let me know in the comments so I can welcome you. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us.

Laura Boggess

Comments

Laura, I so remember as a kid being outside to catch fireflies & keep them in a jar. They were always a wonder. I am so grateful for the change of seasons which truly does remind us, anew, of the wonders God. We so need the reminder that He serves up His Word & His wonders new every morning. Have a blessed Monday!

I miss the fireflies. I haven’t seen any yet in California, Laura. I loved watching them at night. My husband would sit out on our porch at the mountain home and watch them as the waterfall from the pond splashed and the frogs sang in the background. It was our little slice of heaven. We do walk out now and have the sweet scent of Carolina Jasmine. It’s intoxicating. I will miss it when it disappears for the season. God’s world is so perfect.

As a Californian I had no idea fireflies were actually real until we visited New York in 1984…. a thousand years ago. Our children were little and we were all–in-laws, cousins, spouses, tramping through Central Park as dusk was settling in. My four year old daughter spotted them first–it was the most magical moment. I’ve only seen them one other time, on a trip to Chicago at a large park on the lake. Again, just magical.
    Little moments of magic–God is awesome like that. Thank you for reminding us to keep our eyes open for wonder….yesterday, mine was a caterpillar 🙂

4. Lynn D. Morrissey says

So beautiful Laura. And Im so ready for the long, languid nights of summer. I wrote a little poem when I was young: The night has a thousand eyes–fireflies! 🙂
    Love you so much and your beautiful writing too
    xxoo
    Lynn

5. Sharon says

This was just poetically beautiful: “…how the Almighty gives us seasons so we’ll remember the beauty that we so easily forget when we face it every day.”

Yes, He does. We just have to stop our busy lives and take the time to look and see.

Summertime – it brings the best memories to my heart.

GOD BLESS!

Oh, I do love the honeysuckle smell in the air! I haven’t noticed the fireflies out yet, but surely they are. I’ll pay closer attention tonight. Some things we never outgrow. Thank you, God!

Oh I love this, my friend! How did I not know you had a fun playdate link up? What a perfect ‘excuse’ (as if we need one, right?) to plan a date with God each week! I actually scheduled one yesterday and wrote about it this morning (and linked up, because – of course!)

I remember my first trip to the East Coast several years ago and seeing fireflies for the first time… they are like magic and I couldn’t help but feel the playful wonder all around! How I wish we had them out West…but it’s just one more reason that we will have to go back!

“Isn’t it something how everything old is new again and we can greet the familiar like royalty in those first moments of recognition? Each winking light lifts the heavy and my body remembers how these critters usher in the summer—the way the sun lingers longer on the hills, the steady music of the peepers, and the later bedtime as we chased the lights.

I look at him from under my lashes and the beauty of our life enters quiet into my heart, like the slow turning of the seasons on a dewy night in late spring.”

i’m anticipating seeing the first fireflies here in the midwest. 🙂 growing up in texas it’s always such a joy for me.
    thank you for the reminder of the beauty of the seasons. not only physical ones, but those we battle through in our souls as well.
    blessings to you,