Playdates with God: Paper Trail

thanksgiving-2011-day-3-044

Today we bury someone I love and I am far away, unable to share in the tears and memories and the ways we hold one another during times such as these. I have been having trouble writing since I found out, wondering about the ways I spend the moments and questioning. I’ve tried to be more present with my family, tried to listen with my heart to all they say and do not say.

Scripture tells us there is a season for everything—a time to mourn and a time to dance. In my book, I share a story of when I did not feel like meeting with God; when the loss of a friend felt so unfair, so pointless, and too hard to let go of. I tell how the Lord held me during that time, and taught me how to dance again.

There is nowhere we can go that our God has not gone before us. Today I find comfort in that knowledge. In the end, it is the little things—like walking together, and eating together, sitting side-by-side, even writing—it is the little things that make a life. We do these things because our heart compels us to and this is how we honor the one wild and precious life we’ve been given.

So, I will write it all down. Again and again. And when my time comes, there will be a paper trail to follow to find me.

Every Monday I share one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find God and know joy. Click on the button below to add your link. I try to visit a few of your stories every week, so if you are a new visitor, be sure to let me know in the comments so I can welcome you. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us.

Laura Boggess

Comments

Yes, we all need a paper trail, a path of bread crumbs to find our way back to who we are in Christ and to what is truly important in our days. Grace and peace to you in these days of sad adjusting.

Laura, My heart is also breaking this week. My uncle and godfather suffered a massive stroke just over a week ago after having stent surgery. We thought he was doing better, but he passed away Saturday night. The family had decided to remove him from life support the next afternoon if there were no signs of life after waiting more than a week. He’d had massive bleeding in his brain. We are all so close; I’d give anything to be there, to hold them all and to just sit with them and talk about our love for family. It’s hard being so far away in times like these. They are in Western NY, I’m in Northern CA. Praying for peace for both our hearts and also for the families. God is a soft, safe haven for us all.

We are designed to “pass it down” – to communicate, to connect – and the older we get, sometimes I think the better we do because we discover the importance of sharing and connecting – and, even in the losing, – there are things to harvest and share – and grow closer to Him. Loss is hard – but God leaves something for us in it!

You are bringing honor to her in these words today, Laura, but even more in the hours you spent with her and cherished her. God has gone before you in this. That is a thought that comforts me too. Blessings to you, friend.

“There is nowhere we can go that our God has not gone before us.” so true and so comforting, Laura. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

6. Paula Gamble says

I’m so sorry about losing your friend, Laura. That’s so hard. Your heart is so beautiful. Though different, I, too, have to really work to be present and connect with those I love when I grieve. May God comfort you in the ordinary moments. You are loved.

Laura,

Beautiful words of a heart that is searching to seek after Christ even when the questions are too big to wrap our minds around. I’m praying for your heart … your peace … and your comfort.

Lori

8. Lynn D. Morrissey says

Oh sweet Laura, I am so very sorry for your loss. This is so hard. I am heartened to read how the Lord is comforting you in the knowledge that He will do what He did before . . . even using your own written words as a paper trail to His very heart. Our words are what we can give that will far outlive us. You are helping your friend to live on in your words here. How beautifully you honor here the soul of one you loved.
    Praying for God’s abiding and healing comfort for you now.
    Love
    Lynn

I am so sorry for the loss and pain you are walking through. Those paper trails become the healing for someone else to carry the message as they read the freedom you are sharing, but they are also the healing for our own heart as we weave words of faith and build our arsenal of hope.
    Bless you!