Playdates with God: Kale Chips

IMG_7820

I still have one little patch of kale in my garden, believe it or not. The rest of the bed has been put to sleep, covered in a blanket of leaves, but my kale loves these cooler temperatures. Sunday morning I awakened early to make Teddy some biscuits and bacon (did I mention Teddy is home?) and discovered the magic of the first morning snow. It didn’t amount to much, but it made a lovely entrance into Thanksgiving week. In the midst of that gentle snow shower, I picked some kale to sauté in with my morning egg scramble. Late November and we’re still eating fresh greens. Ain’t that something?

In the afternoon I made some kale chips to snack on while the boys are home this week. Kale is one of those so-called “super-foods,” packed with so much healthy goodness it feels wrong to call these little goodies “chips.” Even my boys love them, and they can be slightly addictive. They are a bit labor intensive, but well worth the effort! Here’s how I make my kale chips.

You will need:

A bunch of kale, cleaned and dried (a lot of recipes say to cut out the stem and tear the leaves into small pieces, but I like to keep mine whole, sometimes folding the leaf over to make a thicker chip).

IMG_7815

kosher salt
cracked pepper
other seasoning you like (sometimes I use a cajun spice or garlic powder for something different)
olive oil

Preaheat oven to 275 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the kale with olive oil until coated.

IMG_7827

Place the leaves in a single layer on baking sheets (sometimes I’ve used parchment paper, which absorbs the extra olive oil and makes things neater, but its not necessary).

IMG_7826

Sprinkle with salt and pepper or other seasoning. Bake for twenty minutes or until crisp. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Enjoy!

IMG_7828

IMG_7833

These little buggers are delicate, that’s why I sometimes fold them over to make them thicker. But I love the fragile crisp. Teddy says that’s why they’re addictive, because they’re so light you can’t stop eating them. How about you? What are your favorite homemade snacks to enjoy during the holidays?

Every Monday I share one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find God and know joy. Click on the button below to add your link. I try to visit a few of your stories every week, so if you are a new visitor, be sure to let me know in the comments so I can welcome you. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us.

Laura Boggess

Comments

I have a little leftover Kale in the fridge – trying to decide whether to make chips or use it in a soup. We need to add it to our list of things to plant next year. Enjoy your week, Laura!

• says

It’s a great crop for spring and fall, Kelly. I’ll make some soup after Thanksgiving. My garden just keeps giving and giving! Give all your littles a hug from me! Happy Thanksgiving.

I need more healthy snacks like this. My current favorite go-to snack is Fritos Scoops corn chips. 😉 I think your kale chips are a better idea. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving, Laura, with all of your family together!

I’m gonna have to try that. I recently made beet chips, but they didn’t cook evenly or long enough, so some were borderline burnt/semi-crispy and others just tasted like cooked beets. I can’t seem to get the crispy thing down.

• says

Beet chips. Wow, that sounds ambitious, Mary! Yes, I think with a thicker vegetable it might be tricky to do the long, slow bake needed to get the crispy down. I’ve often thought about investing in one of those dehydrator things, but I guess I’m too old fashioned :). Happy Thanksgiving!

• says

They are so delicious. And I love how delicate they are. It makes me feel like I’m eating something so precious! Much of the enjoyment is in the aesthetic, right? Happy Thanksgiving, Kathy!

I was just at my eye exam and the doctor’s first words were, “How much kale are you eating? You need to eat at least 1/2 cup a day to keep your eye health! Amazing! I just started eating it about a month ago – God’s miracle food (or one of them), I guess! 🙂 ..

• says

A half a cup a day! I could do that, easily. I love to mix greens in with my eggs in the morning. Maybe next year I’ll have to plant a bigger crop! I have my eyesight to consider, after all :). Happy Thanksgiving, Pam!

• says

I’m a big rabbit food eater too, Lux :). But when it’s healthy and yummy, I’m really hooked! We are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, with the whole family together again. Feeling thankful for you and this little community today!

We were eating Kale till the skies dumped a load of snow ( 17 inches to be exact) upon our little plot. I had Kale and Leeks eeking out a determined existence till the white flakes descended. 🙁 We love Kale chips here! Yum!!

Happy Thanksgiving Laura!

Many many blessings,
    Dawn

Hi Laura,
    I love kale chips. You just reminded me that we haven’t had any for awhile. I had them all the time during the summer with kale from my garden. Putting it on my shopping list for Monday.
    Blessings,